Msgr. James E. Sherman
Eighth Pastor, 1948-1956
Born on September 1, 1906, in Fort Loramie, Ohio, Msgr. Sherman grew up in nearby Sydney and attended the University of Dayton before entering St. Gregory Seminary. After ordination on July 5, 1931 in Dayton, he earned a doctorate in sacred theology from the University of Fribourg, Switzerland. For many years after his return from Europe, he taught at St. Gregory and organized the Philosophy Department at Edgecliff College. In 1948, he was named pastor of Old St. Mary’s Church where he remained for eight years. Subsequently, he was named pastor of Immaculate Conception church in Dayton where he remained until his death on July 20, 1996. Following the Funeral Mass at Immaculate Conception, he was buried at Calvary Cemetery in Dayton.