Fourteenth Pastor, 1976-1980
Father Clemens HammerFather Roedel was born August 20, 1911 in Cincinnati and was ordained on May 22, 1937. After his ordination, he continued his studies at Catholic University in Washington and received his doctorate in theology in 1942. In 1948 he was named principal of the high school section of St. Gregory’s Seminary, Mount Washington, and in 1957 was name registrar. In total, he served for over 25 years at the seminary in various leadership positions. In 1963, he became chaplain of Mount St. Joseph College and joined the faculty of Edgecliff College in 1965. During this time, he also served as associate at St. John Vianney in Madisonville, St. Andrew’s in Milford, Our Lady of Grace in Price Hill, and St. Boniface in Northside. In November, 1976, he was named administrator of Old St. Mary’s, and in January of the following year, he was named pastor. He retired from active ministry and as pastor of Old St. Mary’s in June, 1980. He died January 9, 1982 and was buried at Gate of Heaven Cemetery.